15 August, 2005

Sweet sweet success

Its been a rough few days in the morale department, as the scale simply refused to cooperate with me and kept bouncing around the very low 200's but at last I had some real success. To lead up to the big announcement I'll bore you with a few small triumphs from yesterday and today.

Triumph number one: yesterday I swam 1/2 mile for the first time ever, and I did it in 33 minutes! I was running late to the gym because I had spent too much time screwing around on the web, so I only had enough time for a swim. Since the 1/4 mile has been so easy lately I set the bar 100% higher at 1/2 mile. It only took me 13 minutes for the first 1/4 mile and then the second one took longer as I was tiring. Those last three laps were really pushing myself as my shoulder was beginning to really kvetch at me so I kicked harder with my legs and decreased the strength of my arm pull. I was pretty pleased with myself for that new milestone and even did it in my new swimsuit--a lower cut in the front than I am really comfortable in skirtless size 16 tank jobbie. *grin*

Triumph number two: at work last night we took turns with a new sort of power break. The census was low with only seven patients (far better than the one they had last Friday!) so instead of sitting around on our collective arses, we took turns going off the floor to the little gym upstairs by ICU. Three of us took 15 minutes all to ourselves ( one at a time of course) and made the most of our time off the floor. I chose to tackle the stairmaster--a torture device that always makes me feel as if my heart is going to explode 3 seconds after getting on the foolish thing. I managed 15 minutes to the tune of 130 calories--just enough to burn off the cup of chai I had treated myself to shortly before.


Now for the real news...after waking up this afternoon I of course had to visit the cantankerous scale. Scale rules about empty bladders, being stark naked and not having eaten or imbibed anything in full force, I stepped on it. It read 200. Insisting upon confirmation, I stepped on it again: 234. NO frigging way! Again I stepped on the fickle mechanical wonder--198. Very cool--that one I want to believe. Twice more I stepped on it in an odd sort of slow motion dance and twice more it read 198. Three is a row that agree are the magic number--I made it to onederland! One nekkid happy dance later I'm going to celebrate with a nice swim...you think I have another 1/2 mile in me today?

No comments: